Our little house of sustainability is home to Eartha and Artha.. who are taking steps to live more sustainably. Pop in and follow their adventures through the house and discover how to save energy and water, reduce waste, use sustainable building materials to keep your home cool in summer and warm in winter, or just wander through the cottage permaculture garden and foragers garden .. you're welcome to pick and harvest as you go!
Barrett House is a sustainable demonstration project that follows the permaculture design principles both inside and out - often showing two or three different approaches to retrofitting for sustainability to suit every size and shape of house and of course every budget - all to help you make your place a more sustainable and comfortable home to live in!
**Take a 7 minute peek at Barrett House on Sustainable House Day and see what our retrofit experts have to say.. watch here
Began with a visit from Sustainability Coach Michael Mobbs who applied his practical knowledge and experience of extensively retrofitting his own home in Chippendale - which is fully self sufficient.
Then in a working collaboration between Sustainability Architect Terry Bail and landscape designer and permaculture educator Steve Batley applied and developed the designs for the retrofit to turn Barrett House into a demonstration of sustainable living both inside and out.
**Listen to Terry Bail, Steve Batley and Richard Wilson talk about the retrofit of Barrett House on Beyond Emissions Radio - Podcast
Barrett House seeks to offer visitors the latest approaches to sustainable living with new features constantly being added all the time - there's always something new to see or do.
A Solarventi heating and cooling system powered by the sun, double glazing retrofit options from Magnetite, solar power from the Green Solar Group, GreenStuf Insulation, and solar domes from Daylight Designs. Along with 9,000 litres of interconnected rainwater tanks, low impact paints and building materials, sustainable kitchen and a Permaculture designed cottage garden, worm farm seat, wicking beds, vertical garden and much much more..
Permaculture East are currently working with the retrofit team to establish a Foragers Garden that demonstrations Permaculture principles at the house during a series of workshops together with Sydney Organic Gardens.
Click for all the information found in Barrett House on the retrofit features and the sustainable living, browse from the downloads section at the bottom of this page or listen to Barrett House as featured on Beyond Zero Emissions radio - Podcast
Upcoming Events and Workshops
- Public Open Morning - The first Thursday of the month, drop-in anytime between 9:30am-12:30pm
- Weekly organic food collection box - organised by Rhubarb Food Co-op - every Thursday at 6pm
- Visit our Events pages for all the upcoming events and workshops at Barrett House
Get Involved - local groups
There are a number of local sustainability groups that regularly meet in the evenings at Barrett House, so if you have an interest in Permaculture, climate action or organic natural foods and produce, contact the following groups who are both open to new members and visitors:
- Permaculture East: meets the last Monday of the month.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Permaculture East facebook
- Rhubarb Food Co-op Ltd: meets weekly on Thursdays.
Contact email@example.com or visit rhubarbfood.org.au
- CASES Climate Action - South Eastern Suburbs: meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
Contact Info@CASES.org.au or visit www.cases.org.au
- Transition Randwick: meets the fourth Thursday of the month.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their Facebook page
- BikEast: meets the first Tuesday of the month - visit their website: http://www.bikeast.org.au
- Randwick Community Organic Garden committee meets in winter at Barrett house - visit their website: http://www.rcog.org.au
6 Barrett Place
Randwick NSW 2031
Use our Penny Farthing bike racks... are they art or bike parking? you decide!
- From Bondi Junction the following bus routes service Frenchmans Rd: 314, 316, 317, 348, 400 and 410
- Direct from the City: 339 (alight on the corner of Clovelly Rd and Frenchmans Rd)
Call 131500 or visit www.131500.com.au for all your transport information.
On street parking available along Gilderthorpe Ave and surrounding roads. Frenchmans Road has limited parking and time restrictions.
- Welcome to Barrett House (666.9 KB)
- How big is your footprint? (1.4 MB)
- You've got the power (1.6 MB)
- Every drop is precious (1.5 MB)
- Don't stuff up your home (1.6 MB)
- Do you live with a Watt Monster? (813.0 KB)
- Efficient globes are cool (964.3 KB)
- Get with the flow: be self-sufficient (2.8 MB)
- From A to B emission free (1.5 MB)
- The Retrofit Features (3.2 MB)