After two years of looking healthy, my worm farm has developed patches of gooey white substance...
A mould perhaps? Is it harmful to the worms? If so how can I remove it?
Thanking you, Robyn
I'm honestly now sure. Gooey doesn't sound like mould. Mould is usually stingy, fuzzy, or powdery. Gooey is probably more of a bacterial slime colony. But hard to tell without seeing it myself.
Leave it be if it's not dominating the wormfarm and the worms seem happy (i.e. the food is still being eaten at the same rate and the worms are still a nice red colour/not pale). It could well be some friendly opportunist come to feed on built up wormcastings. It could even be some friendly microbe that's been present the whole time, but is only creating visible structures to reproduce on mass in response to environmental stimuli.
But If the goo is dominating the wormfarm, and the worms seem to be sick or inactive, then remove it with a trowel. A top quality dust mask or a moist hanky held/tied over the mouth is advisable, just in case it releases spores etc.
Sorry I can't identify the goo, but I hope this helps :)