Getting rid of ants in my worm farm
I've noticed recently my worm farm is overrun with loads of tiny ants. I've tried adding extra water (as I read that being too dry could be the issue), limiting fruit (also read this can contribute) and I add Tumbleweed worm farm conditioner once a week. Any other suggestions to get rid of them and keep them away?
You could try limiting their access to your worm farm. ie if they are getting in via the legs of the worm farm you could put a little bowl of water under each leg?
Flies, ants and a bad smell indicate that your worms are overfed. The excess food has become anaerobic, which means there is not enough oxygen.
1. Use a small hand fork to dig and ‘fluff’ up – or aerate – the top feeding tray
2. Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of Worm Farm & Compost Conditioner on top of the food scraps
3. Add a few handfuls of good soil on top of the food scraps every time you feed your worms
4. Ensure you have a worm blanket on the surface of the feeding tray at all times
5. Pour several litres of water through your worm farm every week – but before you do, install a bucket under the tap on the bottom tray. Open the tap and keep it open all the time to collect any worm ‘tea’ that drips out.